I am really really busy today, but I have to make a post to mark this very special day too. So I thought rather than telling about Gandhi, I will tell what Gandhi told. Here are my favourites among His quotes:
- A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
- A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.
- Whenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love.
- Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
- A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.
- Be the change you want to see in the world.
- First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- God is conscience. He is even the atheism of the atheist.
- Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress.
- An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
- An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.
- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
- Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position.
- Faith... must be enforced by reason... when faith becomes blind it dies.
- Gentleness, self-sacrifice and generosity are the exclusive possession of no one race or religion.
- I have nothing new to teach the world. Truth and Non-violence are as old as the hills. All I have done is to try experiments in both on as vast a scale as I could.
- It is any day better to stand erect with a broken and bandaged head then to crawl on one's belly, in order to be able to save one's head.
- It is easy enough to be friendly to one's friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business.
- My life is my message.
- Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment.
- The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
- The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
- Fear has its use but cowardice has none.
- You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
- True brahmacharya is this: one who, by constant-attendance upon God, has become capable of lying naked with naked women, however beautiful they may be, without being in any manner whatsoever sexually excited.
- Nobody can hurt me without my permission.
Its a whole lot easier than when you dwell on false prepositions.
Try it. Tell the truth. And feel the difference.